9/13/13

Elkhart Lake Vintage Classic 2013 - Pt. 5. - Other of interest.

Today we're posting the last batch of pictures from the Vintage Festival. Back to the jokes on Monday. We love going to the vintage races, and you can expect to see more reports next season, as I continue to put experience points into my photography skills, in the hope of leveling up every few boss fights.

An old Corvette Stingray on the false grid. In my opinion, this was the last time the Corvette achieved actual gorgeousness. After this generation, they went in the "boxy wedge" direction for several decades, and have only recently begun to dip their toe in the waters of curvaceous beauty again.




This is one of the Chevy Cheetahs from Monday's post, with it's owner at the wheel. If you appreciate this car enough to own one, could you let someone else have the fun of driving it in anger?





Here's the Studebaker I hinted at yesterday. It's not my favorite era, but the age of the thing still deserves respect.






Here follow some racing shots I took with a giant 200mm zoom lens, which is about as long as my forearm. Because my camera is smaller than the one this lens was made for, it has the net effect of a lens that is double the length. So, it's like putting a telescope on my camera. Remember the picture of the Edsel wagon from yesterday, when I had to back way off to fit in the whole car? That's the drawback to using a foreign lens from a larger camera. Here is the advantage to the "foreign lens blues". This 200mm lens acts like a 400mm mondo-zoom lens on my camera. Of course, at that magnification, camera shake was a problem since I didn't have a tripod. These were all taken from a spot on the track near "the carousel", looking at a corner where the cars come down a long straight hill, have to scrub off speed and make a hard left.



I nearly missed this shot, but the car was so cool looking I had to use it. I don't know where this thing was hiding, but I couldn't find it in the paddock.




I saw this for the first time at the dinner time car show. It looks like some kind of  prototype or test mule. Crazy looking.


We passed this great sign for a restaurant with a great name on the way home. Midway Eat!The nonexistent grammar makes it almost feel Japanese, doesn't it?



2 comments:

Steve Miller said...

"Here's the Studebaker I hinted at yesterday. It's not my favorite era, but the age of the thing still deserves respect."

As does its exhaust note, I recall.

PhilAreGo@gmail.com said...

Yeah? Pity I didn't get to hear it run. Thanks for the info anyway, Steve!

[-Mgmt.]

Post a Comment